.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Disclaimer: The author of this site maintained the campaign weblog of John Kline's opponent in the 2006 election, which made Congressman Kline a bit testy.

As with all blogs, review the facts carefully and draw your own conclusions.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Responsiveness Update

Eleven days ago, I discussed John Kline's responsiveness to his constituents. The short version is, if he should ever claim to be responsive to the needs and concerns of his constituents, the correct response is to laugh in his face. Loudly.

Of all the issues I mentioned earlier, about which I have been trying to extract information from Kline for months in some cases, I have received an answer on only one (the DPW port deal), and only because the topic was so controversial Kline felt compelled to make a statement to the local paper.

I recently visited Kline's campaign and congressional offices in Minnesota, and asked them both for any literature, fact sheets, pamphlets, etc. they might have explaining Kline's views on various issues. The campaign office had nothing --- apparently they had just completed a big mailing in advance of party caucuses, and sent everything out. The congressional office similarly had nothing. They told me that I could leave specific questions with them and they would get back to me. That seems to be their stock answer.

Anyway, if anyone reading this has access, I have another question for Kline. According to Josh Marshall, the Republican party of Colorado had some kind of fund raiser/pep rally recently, which featured among others a USMC sergeant as either a speaker or campaign prop. The problem here is that overt participation in partisan politics is against the military code, particularly when in uniform. The Colorado GOP may be breaking the law as well, I'm not too sure.

So my question for Kline is: do you approve of this? Apart from any rule-breaking/lawbreaking, I would imagine the 25-year USMC veteran would take a dim view of active-duty military being used as campaign props. Or is it okay in this instance since the party doing the campaigning is Kline's party?

I'll call Kline's office myself on Monday, but I don't expect it to do much good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home